Monday 10 October 2011

Great Anticipation

Today I was pondering anticipation and the inevitable feeling of let-down, sadness and disappointment once the event or thing we were looking forward to is over.
This weekend saw the Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercar round. Living not too far from Mt Panorama there are several weeks worth of anticipation leading up to race week, then the race itself, then to see who will win. (My family are big V8 fans and I have to say 'Well done' to Team Vodafone, 888 racing, Craig Lowndes and Mark Skaife on an awesome 2nd place.) But I have to admit that there is a certain amount of sadness when the day is over - until next year.
This got me thinking about the things I/we anticipate in life. You know, the big events. Birthday's, Christmas, Weddings, school holidays (if you're like me), the birth of our children, their first smiles and first steps.
We look forward to the change in seasons and wait for the vegetable garden to produce its crops, we wait for the kids to get home from school and how long do we sit and wait for the traffic lights to change each week?
When I began to think about all the time I spend waiting and anticipating I had to ask myself a question. Do I wait and anticipate Christ's return with the same excitement and enthusiasm? To be honest I would have to say 'No'. This is not because I'm not looking forward to this, it's just that sometimes we get caught up in life and the endless list of tasks to accomplish each day.
I know Christ is eagerly anticipating the day He'll take all His children to be with Him, but He waits patiently so the harvest may increase.
So, if I live my life in the same way, anticipating and eagerly waiting for Him, it is the one event that will not leave me feeling sad when it's all over.
So I'll wait...with great anticipation...expectantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment